Out with the old, in with the new

2013-07-28T11:20:00Z Out with the old, in with the newBy BARBARA LYON | editor@dunnconnect.com Chippewa Herald

Council approves finals plans for development of Leever’s site

With the final plans on the agenda, Broadstreet Menomonie developer Brett Naylor recently told the city council, “I keep getting more and more excited.”

The council also seemed to reflect his eagerness to replace the long vacant Leever’s grocery store with a four-story mixed use retail and apartment building at 503 South Broadway.

According to the planned unit development plan approved by the council, Menomonie Market Food Co-op still has plans to occupy a 12,000-square-foot retail space on the ground floor of the new building. But instead of nine three-story, one-bedroom townhouses planned for the southern wing of the project, there will be one-bedroom apartments on each of the three floors.

The original plan presented last year called for a total of 96 bedrooms, there will be 92 — 42 one-bedroom units and 24 two-bedroom apartments.

City Engineer Charlie Jones pointed out that underground parking — 61 spaces in all — has  been shifted to just under the building. Last year’s plan called for underground parking under the above-ground asphalt parking lot.

Although the developer looked at adding a second level of below-ground parking, Jones said, it proved not to be feasible.

The surface lots will provide a total of 55 spaces plus an additional 31 parking spots in the northwest corner of the 1.4 acre-site.

Broadstreet Menomonie will occupy the southern half of the property, while the remainder will be seeded to grass — unless a retail or commercial enterprise shows interest in purchasing and developing the space.

“We’ve continued to sharpen the project and make it better,” Naylor said. “I think the project that’s before you today is a much stronger project as far as the use of the layouts within the units, the overall efficiency — and also the product mix lends itself better to succeed for us as owners and also for the city of Menomonie.”

The city has received a $230,000 grant from the state to tear down the Leever’s building. Jones told the council that a demolition plan should be completed in time for the council’s next meeting on Monday, Aug. 5.

Copyright 2016 Chippewa Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick