A woman died Monday evening in a house fire in the town of Sand Creek. Found just inside the doorway of the residence, she has been identified as Katherine E. Johnson, 69. An autopsy performed Tuesday reveals that the cause of death is carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation.
According to the Dunn County Sheriff’s Office, reports of the fire at N12946 780th St. were received at 8:20 p.m.
Firefighters from Sand Creek, Colfax and the Chippewa Fire Protection District located Johnson’s body and learned that she resided alone at the home.
The origin of the fire appeared to have started near a wood-burning fireplace in the living room. Due to the extent of the damage, however, the cause will be officially listed as undetermined.