Printed in the 1878 Historical Atlas of Wisconsin, this sketch shows the Union Lumbering Company sawmill that was located where the Chippewa River and Duncan Creek meet in Chippewa Falls. A sawmill was first built at this site in 1836-37, by H.L. Dousman and Jean Brunet.
Though faced with natural disasters such as flooding and fires, as well as economic trials, the site became known as the largest lumber mill under one roof in the world and continued operating until 1911. Many recognizable and influential people were owners and managers through the years; names such as Hiram S. Allen, Thaddeus Coleman Pound, Frederick Weyerhaeuser and William Irvine.
The sawmill was also influential in determining much of the current ethnic mix of Chippewa County, as it brought employees to this area from many areas in the United States as well as Eastern European and Scandinavian countries.