Democrats say Moulton recall signatures at 59 percent

2011-11-29T11:18:00Z 2011-11-29T11:22:36Z Democrats say Moulton recall signatures at 59 percentBy THE HERALD Chippewa Herald
November 29, 2011 11:18 am  •

Locally, the recall of state Sen. Terry Moulton is proceeding. Moulton (R-Chippewa Falls) was elected to the state Senate in November 2010, after having served two terms in the state Assembly.

Kristen Dexter, who defeated Moulton for an Assembly seat in 2008, is now the chairperson of the Eau Claire County Democratic Party. Dexter said Monday that 8,900 signatures have been collected in the effort to recall Moulton.

Dexter said that amounts to 59 percent of the signatures needed in less than two weeks since the effort was launched. As with Gov. Walker, recall supporters have until Jan. 17 to force a recall for Moulton, who is one of four state senators facing possible recall elections in 2012.

Copyright 2015 Chippewa Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(35) Comments

1. Merlin
    Merlin - December 05, 2011 12:32 pm
    cfresident said: "should be recalled!"

Correct me if I am wrong here but weren't they elected by a majority of the votes to being with?

So now you are telling us that the majority want them out?

The same majority that voted for Kloppenburg? The same one that pushed the Democrats into power in the State Legislature and Senate?

I don't think you know what that word means because so far, you have lost all of your recall attempts - nothing changed.
  2. Merlin
    Merlin - December 05, 2011 12:29 pm
    cfresident said: "All they have is the Koch money, better known as the 1%! That's not enough."

What was that group that represents lefties so well?? You know the one that represents only 12% of the workforce in WI, the one that rips off it's members, spends billions on politics to get contracts that are ridiculous, the one that thinks the tax payer is their piggy bank?

Oh right, it was the unions. I think the unions in the US are probably a tad bigger than the Koch enterprise..
  3. OVERPAID
    OVERPAID - December 04, 2011 2:34 am
    It's pretty easy to make a living these days... go look for work, most companies are looking for good employees!, believe it or not! And they are ready to train... for the willing.. just ask and try! Be affraid of only failure! In case of failure, you're still let with what you had!
  4. youknowme
    youknowme - December 04, 2011 12:11 am
    I apologize for the "idea" typo. There is no disenfranchisement. Get your free ID. It costs taxpayers millions to pay DOT workers too...lets not require id's to drive or buy cigs or booze. It discriminates against somebody.
  5. cfresident
    cfresident - December 03, 2011 11:22 pm
    Right, 540000 not a majority. That's why there will be an election after the signatures are filed when MORE than 540000 pi$$ed off people will vote Walker out. Democracy 101, this is how it works. Voter "idea," haha too rich to ignore. Voter "idea allows you to keep less of your EARNED MONEY (costs taxpayers $2 million+) while disenfranchising poor/elderly but doing absolutely nothing to make elections cleaner. Yeah, a no brainer-- shows Walker/Moulton have no brains & should be recalled!
  6. cclover
    cclover - December 03, 2011 9:05 am
    Does anybody know when the recall of K. Bernier is going to start?
  7. youknowme
    youknowme - December 03, 2011 6:32 am
    What part of, allowing people to keep more of THEIR earned income does not take others EARNED money away, don't people understand. I can assure you that 540000 signatures is far from peeing off a majority of the people. Voter idea is a no-brainer even if you have no brain. The education system had over $1.76 billion increase over the past 10 years...there should be no shortage there just because they aren't getting their $176 million dollar unfundable increase this year.
  8. cfresident
    cfresident - December 02, 2011 11:52 pm
    Also Sarge can you clarify for me just what is the "spirit it's intended"? According to WI Constitution, the voters have the right to recall an elected official after one year. The statutes govern the petition/circulators/signers/committee. No "intent" is specified, other than the will of the people. The official does not have to break the law. All s/he has to do is pi$$ off a majority of the voters. Walker has lost the people's confidence in his ability to lead. That's why he's going DOWN!
  9. cfresident
    cfresident - December 02, 2011 11:40 pm
    I get the idea from your thinly disguised threat to make them "run off the property." Why would you do that to anyone even a salesperson? Just tell them no thanks. They're just trying to make an honest living. Not easy to do nowadays. And this recall is completely within the spirit it's intended. This is no mere disagreement with what Walker has done. Democrats disagreed plenty with Thompson but no one started a recall. Walker has imposed a radical agenda that is totally changing the state.
  10. sarge
    sarge - December 02, 2011 4:05 pm
    ...Or vaccum cleaner salesmen or any other person to solicit me. My home is my castle. I do not welcome solicitation there. I do however welcome friends and people I have invited.
  11. sarge
    sarge - December 02, 2011 4:04 pm
    cfresident said: "If you don't want to talk about recall then just politely tell the petitioner no thanks--... Sarge you sound much more like a repub. Why else would you oppose a process that is a fundamental part of democracy and has been used by both sides? " I could care less which side I sound more like. Where do you get the idea I oppose recalls? It's the spirit of this (or these) recall efforts I question. Also, I don't want my home solicited by petitioners or .....
  12. cfresident
    cfresident - December 02, 2011 2:10 pm
    Hmmm...I'd say Walker's giving billions in tax breaks to corporations is a waste of the taxpayer's money. I'd say Walker's expansion of the laws on Voter ID is a waste of the taxpayer's money. I'd say Walker's destructive war on public education is a waste of the taxpayer's money. Much more shameful than spending money on an election which is part of the democratic process.
  13. Very Concerned
    Very Concerned - December 02, 2011 12:53 pm
    an80sreaganite said: "More wasting of taxpayer's money by Democrats. The recall funded by "Big Unions" forcing the taxpayers to shell out of recall elections.... Democrats have no shame. "
    Your comment doesn't hold water. What about the Republicans who ran "fake democrats" in the first recalls to force a primary? If your argument is true that it is a waste of taxpayers money, then republicans are just as guilty as democrats.

14. an80sreaganite
    an80sreaganite - December 02, 2011 10:19 am
  15. cfresident
    cfresident - December 01, 2011 2:39 pm
    The Moulton supporters are rethinking the way they post. Now that Stinger's not here to create chaos and justify name-calling, people actually have to think before they click submit. Once again thanks Rod!! I like hearing from people who disagree with me but it's so much better without the name-calling and demagoguery.
  16. morninmist
    morninmist - December 01, 2011 12:14 pm
    Download your recall petitions here and mail them in if you have not had the opportunity to sign already. Send in the petitions (Walker, Kleefisch, Moulton--or Pam Galloway if you are in her Senate district) from the comfort of your home.

17. Report Abuse
    - December 01, 2011 11:31 am
    woodland_hank said: "Sarge, what do you plan to do? When someone comes to my door that I disagree with,....?"

I'll do the same thing I do with the Jehovah's Witnesses & Mormons. I talk to them and ask them a lot of questions. Not to be a smart axx but to really see what they have to say. Doesn't mean I'm swithing over, just learning something.

I hope they do come to my house becasue I would love to ask them why they feel the recalls are worth it and not get the BS line.
  18. matty
    matty - December 01, 2011 9:34 am
    zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...
  19. matty
    matty - December 01, 2011 9:34 am
    Rainmaker said: "Where are the Moulton supporters? "

They are probably all at work.
  20. matty
    matty - December 01, 2011 9:33 am
    zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...zzz...
  21. woodland_hank
    woodland_hank - November 30, 2011 4:21 pm
    Sarge, what do you plan to do? When someone comes to my door that I disagree with, I simply tell them I have my own beliefs that don't align with theirs. Essentially, no thanks, I'm not interested. Are you suggesting or threatening violence?
  22. cfresident
    cfresident - November 30, 2011 3:28 pm
    If you don't want to talk about recall then just politely tell the petitioner no thanks--that's what I would do to a petitioner from the other side. Why do Republicans/so-called Independents exorcise their fantasies of power and privacy on people who just want an honest try at convincing you to change your mind? Sarge you sound much more like a repub. Why else would you oppose a process that is a fundamental part of democracy and has been used by both sides?
  23. sarge
    sarge - November 30, 2011 1:21 pm
    I hope someone knocks on my door to attempt to get a signature on the recall petition. That should be one heck of an awkward moment for them. Bet they run off my property.
  24. sarge
    sarge - November 30, 2011 1:13 pm
    Never been a big fan of Mr Moulton, but I staunchly oppose the recal effort targeting him. He was elected, and the recall attempt is a thin veil to garner more attention and support for the far left. That being said. I'm neither left or right. Good and bad in both Parties. Just too bad that the power to recall is being used beyond the spirit it's intended.
  25. reader
    reader - November 30, 2011 10:03 am
    Thank you Rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  26. cfresident
    cfresident - November 30, 2011 9:21 am
    Yes, that's correct. If the Republicans don't like what the Democrats vote for, they can start a recall, just like the Democrats. Not so easy for Republicans because they don't have the will of the people. All they have is the Koch money, better known as the 1%! That's not enough.
  27. Keepin it Real
    Keepin it Real - November 30, 2011 7:51 am
    Morninmist. Thanks for letting me know they are going door to door as well. I'll make sure I put out my sign saying no Political folks welcome. By the way how many of your recall folks voted in the first place? If you're able to gather enough signature who is your Candidate? Also who is paying for this recall election? I guess those are some of my concerns or questions. What happens if you are sucessful and your candidate votes a certain way and my side doesn't like it can we recall them?
  28. morninmist
    morninmist - November 30, 2011 4:18 am
    @ Keepin it Real said on: November 29, 2011, 12:06 pm

I do not think you get out much and/or just have a small group you associate with ("Most of what I see are teachers or retired teachers tying to stick to someone")

Fact is, I & others are there going door to door in small rural areas surrounding CF & EC and people are signing the petitions for Moulton, Walker and Kleefisch.

Read this:
  29. Rainbird
    Rainbird - November 29, 2011 11:08 pm
    Wow! How is he going to blame that on the socialist teachers union? :-) :-)
  30. Stìnger
    Stìnger - November 29, 2011 8:05 pm
    I guess this means goodbye to Stinger's alter-ego "Stìnger" as well. It's been fun. Thanks Rod, for keeping the board maintained. BTW, Merlin and Alpine--consider yourselves on notice.
  31. cfresident
    cfresident - November 29, 2011 4:16 pm
    bye bye Stinger! come back when you learn how to debate respectfully.
  32. Rod Stetzer Staff
    Rod Stetzer - November 29, 2011 3:36 pm
    Dear Readers:
    As of today, Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011, one poster has been banned because of his constant name-calling of others posting comments. I always appreciate hearing directly from posters about comment abuse. Give me a call at (715) 738-1609 or drop me an email at: rod.stetzer@lee.net. Or hit the Report Abuse" button. As always, thank you for reading Chippewa.com. -- Rod Stetzer
  33. youknowme
    youknowme - November 29, 2011 1:12 pm

34. Keepin it Real
    Keepin it Real - November 29, 2011 1:03 pm
    We are good Stinger always an exchange of views gets all of us thinking.... Have a great day...
  35. Keepin it Real
    Keepin it Real - November 29, 2011 12:06 pm
    What happens now when the folks wanting to recall Moulton have to start going door to door to get the rest of their signatures. It's been easy for them to mess up my downtown when I come home holding up their stupid signs asking folks to stop & sign. I'm not a fan of Mr. Moulton but am opposed to recalls because when the parties in power make decisions we dont' like are we always going to start recalling them. Most of what I see are teachers or retired teachers tying to stick to someone
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Follow The Chippewa Herald

Search local business directory

Hint: Enter a keyword that you are looking for like tires, pizza or doctors or browse the full business directory.

Latest Local Offers

Poll

Which party is right in the dispute over funding for the Chippewa Fire District?

View Results