Chippewa Falls, Bloomer and New Auburn call off school Tuesday

2013-03-05T05:46:00Z 2013-03-05T10:59:07Z Chippewa Falls, Bloomer and New Auburn call off school TuesdayBy THE HERALD Chippewa Herald
March 05, 2013 5:46 am  •

Forecasts calling for more than a half a foot of snow Tuesday were not ignored by several schools in western Wisconsin, as Chippewa Falls, Bloomer and New Auburn schools joined the chorus of school districts to the south and called off classes for the day.

Chippewa Valley schools that have announced they will be closed Tuesday included: Altoona, Bloomer, Chippewa Falls, Colfax, Eau Claire, Elk Mound, Menomonie and New Auburn. Many districts to the south of Eau Claire have also closed.

Today is the fourth snow day this winter for the Chippewa Falls school district.

"Safety is paramount in deciding whether to hold classes," Superintendent Tom Hughes said. "The number of days called off is never considered."

The district is now two days past the number of snow days allowed without holding makeup school days. Consequently, Chippewa Falls will be holding classes for two additional days following graduation, on Monday, June 10 and Tuesday, June 11.

Chippewa Falls Head Start and the Chippewa Falls Senior Center have also closed for the day.

The Herald will have school closing updates as warranted this morning.

Copyright 2015 Chippewa Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(11) Comments

1. Interested Party
    Interested Party - March 12, 2013 1:25 pm
    Cranky,
    A lot of the people who hate teachers are the ones who didn't pay attention to them in school and hold a grudge against teachers for their own shortcomings. How cancelling a school day because of bad weather can turn into a teacher bashing session is beyond me. When you have snowplows out there and people trying to get to work trying to drive around school buses it's a hazard for everyone involved. Cadott didn't cancel school but they should have, the roads were terrible and those buses were a hazard.
  2. cranky
    cranky - March 05, 2013 5:11 pm
    SoJo-=

Yes, they are there for their paycheck, just like you and me when we go to work. You chose your field to go into when you went to get your MBA, and I did as well. Just sick of hearing the teachers getting blamed for everything. If you wanted summers off, then become a teacher. Any by the way, not all teachers have summers off, they are teaching summer classes, or geting their continuing education credits. So, sick of the whining about the unions and state workers. If you don't like what you have for benefits or your pay, or what not, then go find something else. Problem solved. All I know, is my daughter's teachers are awesome and have been. They do not deserve all of this bashing that they get every time we have a snow day or something goes wrong with the schools that certain people do not agree with. Lets get mad at some of those sitting at home every day collecting money for doing absolutely nothing, when we know they are able to do so.
  3. factsonly
    factsonly - March 05, 2013 5:02 pm
    I do go to work when I am allowed to work. Today was not one of those days. I am a 9 month employee with full time hours. I was docked pay for today. There is no guarantee I will be asked to work the make-up days and recoup today's lost income. This is my chosen profession and I understood the terms when I was hired. I can also understand people's frustration and inconvenience. I am a parent, grandparent and employee. Yet, in my opinion, bashing the people entrusted to make safety decisions for our children is mean spirited.
  4. TheManFromCF
    TheManFromCF - March 05, 2013 4:50 pm
    School was cancelled today because the roads were slick enough that it wasn't safe for them to by by the road waiting for buses. It has nothing to do with teachers. Teachers would rather have the long summer break. Who wouldn't? But studies have shown that kids take a significant step back over the summer. I think you're going to see more and more districts shorten up the summer vacation with more and more small breaks during the year for that reason.

As far as teachers teaching for a paycheck: No kidding? Work for a paycheck? Not many people work for heck of it.
  5. Commongood
    Commongood - March 05, 2013 4:16 pm
    The superintendent called for a snow day, and this turns into another opportunity to bash teachers in Chippewa county. Union power perks? Seriously, have you forgotten there is no collective bargaining? I work for what the school board decides to pay me, the hours and calendar the school board sets, and the health insurance the board chooses to give. Teachers are paid a set number of days. There is no day off. Teachers will work extra days to make up the time. If the roads are so bad, you don't want to send your children to school, yet you expect teachers to drive in? These comments show how little some of you value the people who care for and educate your children.
  6. SoJo
    SoJo - March 05, 2013 2:45 pm
    "They are there for our kids day in and day out."

No, they are there for their paycheck, their pension, their power union perks, and mostly their golden Caddy health plan. WITH summers off.

I do not need or want any school system to babysit my kids. I am calling for LESS days in the school year. And by the way I do have a degree, an MBA and I earn my living in the private sector without any collective "bargaining" or power union holding a gun to the tax payers head for me.
  7. cranky
    cranky - March 05, 2013 12:19 pm
    I agree with closing the schools today due to the roads. It may not have been real bad this morning, but when you have young kids getting on bus and the back roads are not plowed, which ours still have not been plowed, this makes total sense. Sorry if the school wasn't there to watch your kids once again while you go to work. Yes, I do have kids, and yes, I am at work. As parents, we should plan ahead for these unforeseen circumstances. Give the teachers a break (no, I am not a teacher). They are there for our kids day in and day out. If you think they have it easy, go get a degree and become a teacher....so sick of hearing all of the whining. I know I am glad my child is home safe and not out in this weather. Heck, her bus driver is a terrible driver on normal roads, would hate to see what she would be like on these kind of roads. Lighten up people, come on.
  8. Cornell
    Cornell - March 05, 2013 11:43 am
    Safety is the number one concern for these children, I agree if you think the school needs to be closed then close it, but yes, I believe that these long breaks during the school year could possibly be cut down, the kids would much rather be out of school earlier in the summer then having long breaks during the school year, I personally think the long breaks are just benefits for the teachers and school staff. I also believe that if school is cancelled for the safety of the children the school staff shoudl still need to go in and work for the day instead of just having the day off, they always complain that they just keep getting more things pushed on them with no extra help, that they just dont have time.. All other employees at different jobs are still going into work, what make them that special that they dont need to work to.
  9. Cornell
    Cornell - March 05, 2013 11:32 am
    f
  10. SoJo
    SoJo - March 05, 2013 8:08 am
    Let's see, the teachers had a screw off day yesterday with schools closed (at least in Bloomer) and now a snow day that isn't needed. How many "in service" days do these government teachers get, how many power union pep rallys do they need?

We need to cut the school year by at least 10 days with zero screw off days. A mandatory week off in the dead of winter and 5 more days in reserve in case of snow need or to be used at the end of the year. Think of the savings to the tax payer and if anything our children would be much better served.

But of course, that simply makes too much sense and doesn't serve the need of the all mighty power union.
  11. Chipres
    Chipres - March 05, 2013 7:28 am
    So we cancel school for an inch of snow???? The plows are all out and will be out all day. Chippewa never used to cancel at all, no matter how bad it got. Heck a few years ago we had 3 foot drifts on our road and school was still in session and I had to get my daughter to the end of the road for the bus. Schools like Cornell and Holcombe used to be the first ones closed and they have been in session almost every time. I get it, safety comes first but this is a little extreme. We live in Wisconsin. Next year lets cut out some of the long breaks during the winter and end school at a normal time. Having a 2 day winter break in Feb and then a 6 day spring break in March for kids is way too much, besides all of the inservice days and the late starts. I get some of the Schools South of Eau Claire where they usually get more snow and they have the bluffs and stuff that are a lot harder to manage but Chippewa doesn't have that or a huge area that is all back roads like some schools.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Follow The Chippewa Herald

Search local business directory

Hint: Enter a keyword that you are looking for like tires, pizza or doctors or browse the full business directory.

Poll

Should Chippewa Falls merge its SWAT team with a regional SWAT team?

View Results