Bieging hopes to enrich Assembly with medical background

2012-10-23T14:00:00Z 2012-10-25T07:13:21Z Bieging hopes to enrich Assembly with medical backgroundBy ALICIA YAGER | alicia.yager@lee.net Chippewa Herald
October 23, 2012 2:00 pm  •

As Deb Bieging puts it, there are quite a few small business owners in the Wisconsin Assembly, but only three representatives with a medical background. She would like to join that small group.

“I’m not saying a health care background is more important than small business, but it’s less common in the Assembly,” said Bieging, a former pediatrician who is running as a Democrat in the 67th Assembly District against Rep. Tom Larson (R-Colfax).

And her medical background was a major factor in Bieging’s decision to run for Assembly. With health care reform a major topic across the country as well as in Wisconsin, she didn’t think the current Republican-controlled Legislature was putting enough focus on the issue.

“What I’ve been hearing from people I’ve talked to is health care is important to pretty much everybody,” she said.

Bieging has also seen the need for affordable health care firsthand, both in her position as a pediatrician and as a volunteer at the free clinic. When people can’t afford regular check-ups and preventative care, she said, their health problems can ultimately turn into an emergency room visit — and a more expensive problem.

But health care is only one of Bieging’s main issues. Another factor in her decision to run was quality education, both in public schools and technical colleges.

“One thing I’ve learned more about while campaigning is … how important technical education is to economy as well as society,” she said, noting the many good-paying technical and manufacturing jobs that are available.

She would like to see more public schools talking with students about the positives of technical colleges instead of just focusing on four-year institutions. Bieging would also like legislators to have more contact with school leaders on how to best maintain quality education and ensure schools have adequate funding.

“Public education is a key to a strong middle class and economy,” she said.

This preference for open dialogue also extends to working relationships between Republicans and Democrats. If she is elected, Bieging hopes to bridge the political divide at least among the Chippewa Valley representatives, suggesting the group meet for breakfast once a month to talk about constituent issues and just to get to know one another.

“It’s hard to attack someone when you know them on a personal level,” she said. “We all have our day-to-day joys and challenges. It helps to see each other as human beings.“

And she knows the political divisiveness can also spill into personal areas. Bieging acknowledged that both she and her family will be losing privacy and opening themselves to criticism.

“A lot about running is outside my comfort zone, but I feel strongly that there are priorities that need to be championed,” she said. “And it’s not just about me and my beliefs, it’s also (about) the community and listening to constituents.“

Copyright 2015 Chippewa Herald. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(12) Comments

1. Report Abuse
    - October 28, 2012 9:55 am
    I hope my spouse and I can retire at 58 because I am independently wealthy. Just think of it, by 58 I don't need to work anymore because I made so much money from then till now. Rather than blast the system which made me a 1% er and make evern MORE money than I really need, I have a better idea. Wal-Mart parking lots here I come!!
  2. bluehillsmike
    bluehillsmike - October 25, 2012 2:35 pm
    Kreitlow had more going for him last time around. Talk about damning with faint praise!!!!
  3. bluehillsmike
    bluehillsmike - October 25, 2012 2:34 pm
    Key question, especially for a Doctor: Do you support Obamacare or not? I personally do not know any that do--but they don't work at free clinics. Unless she is against Ocare, I don't see, respectfully, anything she brings to the table that Tom Larson doesn't have 3X of with his business owner background.
  4. Merlin
    Merlin - October 25, 2012 9:19 am
    I think you are over generalizing what the "choice" is here. The "choice" to have a child or not, should be made BEFORE the child is conceived, not after. In certain instances, one could argue that abortion is necessary, life of the mother, rape, etc. But in those cases, there is a medical necessity or the woman was denied "her choice" to conceive a child - these are a very small percentage, a fraction of the number of abortions performed.

Once that child is conceived is not the time that "choice" comes into play, that time passed already.

If you want to use "it's a woman's body and her choice" argument, I AGREE - just not after the fact. A woman should respect her body enough to know the potential consequences of her actions and be prepared for those consequences should she engage in irresponsible behavior. Don't blame the dhild irresponsibility of the parents.

Enough said, next....
  5. Sand-Blaster
    Sand-Blaster - October 25, 2012 5:00 am
    Gender 'Re-Assignment' Pun intended
  6. OKOKOKOK
    OKOKOKOK - October 24, 2012 9:23 pm
    So Tom Larson talks the same ALEC talking points that his mouth breathing followers have managed to mostly memorize. I think it is time to elect politicians that represent their constituents, not the KOCH BROTHER'S 1%!!!!!!!!
  7. Yellow River Rat
    Yellow River Rat - October 24, 2012 9:16 pm
    I believe that women should have a choice. How many children that are born now are orphans or in foster care? How many of these children are you caring for? Who will take care of these children if the Republicans are elected? Republicans are against choice, but have no plan on how take care of these children once they are born. Obama has a plan, Romney has none.
  8. Yellow River Rat
    Yellow River Rat - October 24, 2012 8:36 pm
    Government creates jobs? We should have those 250,000 promised by Walker. Where are they? Larson stood by everything Walker did. He pushed the voter ID when there was no problem. He voted to punish government workers but never called for shared sacrifice. We need a fresh, balanced outlook, vote Bieging.
  9. thewordofgreatness
    thewordofgreatness - October 24, 2012 6:23 pm
    Single focused candidates never get elected, nor should they unless the focus is on jobs. Everything else is secondary. Tom Larson gets it, Debbie doesn't. Tom's getting my vote.
  10. Enlightenment
    Enlightenment - October 24, 2012 4:36 pm
    Why do you find it interesting that an educated woman believes in allowing women to freely choose what is in their best interest in regards to their own bodies? It appears she is pro-choice because she is intelligent and can make her own decisions.

BTW, can you think of any medical procedures for men that get the same attention and condemnation?
  11. c'mon man
    c'mon man - October 24, 2012 11:03 am
    Seems like a nice person but running on health care not a good thing. What you want increases costs and that's what we are saying we can't afford anymore. I heard you on a program and you indicated you supported Obamacare well some of us don't. You talked about you son coming back on to your plan until age 26... Well when he's done with that welcome to the real world what you support has and is costing the rest of us much more money. I'll support Rep Larson again.
  12. knight
    knight - October 24, 2012 8:46 am
    I find it intersting that a pediatrician believes that aborting a child is o.k. I think that she is a poor choice for the seat.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Follow The Chippewa Herald

Search local business directory

Hint: Enter a keyword that you are looking for like tires, pizza or doctors or browse the full business directory.

Latest Local Offers

Poll

Are you vacationing or will you vacation in a warm place to escape winter's chill?

View Results